16.6.10

Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival started by the lovely ladies over at YA HIGHWAY.

Today's question is: When and why did you start writing?


I started writing because of my mom.

She wanted me, her only child, to live outside of the box. When I was little, she would tell me that I could be anything that I wanted to be. She would tell me that life is more than just what I saw, and that the key to success was hidden in-between the lines of a good book.

So when I was four she signed us both up for a book club, where we read a new book every week. By the time I was five, I could read and understand words other kids my age, couldn't.

It was funny because whenever my mom would talk to other adults, she would spell out the words instead of saying them because I knew what she was talking about.

But I have always loved words.

I didn't realize that until I turned seven, when I started seeing a psychiatrist.

I had just met my father and my extended family for the first time, and I really didn't know how to handle all of that at a young age, especially since my father wasn't the man who I thought he would be. Instead, he was less than a man, and because I was so young, and because I understood so much, I had to go see a psychiatrist to help sort out my feelings.

The psychiatrist made me draw pictures, but eventually I started writing out what I thought in the form of poetry. As time passed, I started writing short stories and books and I let my English teachers read them, and they would ask for copies and when I was in third grade, I won five-hundred dollars for a essay I wrote about what the Statue of Liberty meant to me.

Writing has always been a way to cope with my feelings. Instead of crying, I would open up a notebook and start jotting down ideas.

I don't know if I have any of my old stuff anymore, but I remember obsessing over the characters, staying up all night clanking away at the keyboard.

I want to be a lot of things in life, but I am a writer first, forever and always.

What else would I do with all the voices swarming around in my head?

9 comments

Such an awesome story. <3 Raven, you are a really amazing girl. I'm so glad you found your calling :) GO WORDS!! And go you :D

REPLY

This is such an inspiring post. Truly mega uber super fantastic awesome, and may I say BEAUTIFULLY writter. Yay for those late nights, because look where they've taken you. You are a wonderful, wonderful writer.

REPLY

I love the idea of a mommy/daughter book club. What a great foundation for learning and your relationship.

REPLY

Beautiful, beautiful story, Raven.

REPLY

Beautiful post!

I don't know what I would do with all the voices either, if I didn't write :-)

REPLY

What a beautiful, inspiring story. I'm so glad you found a talent that makes you so happy!

REPLY

I gave you an award on my blog :)

REPLY

This made me cry.
Such a beautiful, touching post.

REPLY

Love Letters to Forever . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Blog Templates Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates