12.8.11


It's been a while since I've wrote poetry...so I'm a little rusty. But this is for The Merry Sisters of Fate contest where the winner gets three ARCs of books written by the three authors. In case you didn't know, the MSOF are authors Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff.

They post amazing original stories/flash fiction every week, and if you want to be entered into the contest all if you have to do is write something inspired by the painting "The Turret Stairs" by Frederic Burton.

HEARTBREAK

His hands are shackles
And I am their reluctant prisoner
In the shadows he waits to capture me

Susanna
He says my name like a prayer
Though many bow when they see me
His is the only worship that is true

We shouldn't do this
My lips are traitors
They betray the feelings that wage war in my heart, in my soul,
as he buries his lips in the crook of my arm

I have waited long enough, my queen
And so he has
Every night he comes for me
Every night he wairs

On the turret stairs
Where our hearts beats in synchronicity

Run away with me
His voice is filled with an urgency that makes me wish
That I could forsake the throne to follow him
Into the unknown
But I cannot

I have a duty to my kingdom
When one becomes a queen she must forget that she is a woman
She must ignore the passions that shatter her bones and flutter her heart
She must remember, always, who her first love is

You mean to your king?
I turn my face into the wall,
And blush as only sinners do

I love you enough to let you go
So show me the same courtesy,
And love me enough to let me stay
Those aren't the words that I want to say
Those aren't the words that I feel
But they are the words I must say
They are the words I must feel

He is my reluctant warden
He hesitates to let me go
He gives me one last kiss on the palm of my hand
And it is then the lights dim; signaling the end of the show

The audience erupts into cheers
And we take our bows

I wish it didn't have to end this way
His voice cracks; he is close to tears
I look at him
He looks at me
For only a moment
But a moment is all it takes

Me too
I whisper
As his heart breaks.

2 comments

This is gorgeous, Raven. Absolutely gorgeous.
I love the story it tells.
I love the twist at the end.

Hope you win. G'luck!

REPLY

Love Letters to Forever . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Blog Templates Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates