1.2.10

Today's (or actually tomorrow's) teaser is from my YA Contemporary novel Playing the Field.

Greg did better than fine. He owned the field. The other team had nothing on him. My throat was burning and raw, from all the screaming I was doing. I waved my foam thumb in the air, and Marnie rolled her eyes.

"What?" I asked.

"You're such a guy sometimes. I don't even understand half of what's going on."

"We're winning, that's all you need to know."

She rolled her eyes again, and I felt like telling her that if she kept doing that, her eyes would get stuck or something. But I just smiled at her, and focused my attention back on the game.

It was the other team's ball. They were on fourth down, and I knew right away that it wouldn't be their ball for long. It sailed into the air, and they scattered, looking like giant black and orange bees.

I searched around for Greg. He was running up the field, his arms thrown over his head. I had never seen him move that fast. I couldn't stop cheering. The ball grazed his fingertips, and then something happened.

I was sure there was going to be a lot of cheers coming from behind me, but it was silent. It took me a moment to figure out what was going on.

The ball landed on the field, and rolled out of Greg's reach. His fingers reached out for it, but that was all I could see of him. The rest of his body was trapped underneath three guys on the opposing team.

The referee blew his whistle and instead of cheers, there was a lot of booing.

"Fuck," I yelled. "Fuck. Fuck. Fuck."

"Do you think he's okay?" Marnie asked.

"I don't know. Look at him." After the three guys got their big asses off of Greg, I could see him lying on the field, still as the wind at this very moment.

"Greg!" I shouted. "Get up! Come on!"

The referee was talking. People in the bleachers were talking, some were yelling. But I couldn't hear them. I got up and ran down the bleachers, towards the field. When I reached him, I took his helmet off and smoothed his hair out.

"Hey," he whispered.

"Hey, babe. You okay?" I don't know why I asked that. It was such a stupid question, but he shook his head yes.

"Liar."


6 comments

This is a good tease. I feel like am sitting right next to your MC taking in the action on the field. I just hope Greg is okay :)

REPLY

I really like this, great action and I love the image of the black and orange bees scattering.

Great tease!

REPLY

Awh. Contemporary stuff always saddens me. But great tease, ending it like that. I hope he's okay :D

REPLY

Ouch. I'm sure Greg's ok. He can handle it ... I hope. Great tease

REPLY

Very vivid!

REPLY

Just from this short tease, I fell in love with your MC.

REPLY

Love Letters to Forever . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Blog Templates Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates