19.5.13


So while I was plotting my NA Science Fiction idea, Starfall, another set of characters fought their way into my head and demanded I give them attention. I would've just pushed them aside, if the voice wasn't so strong. It has been months since I've been able to write ANYTHING. I had hoped plotting Starfall would help me get me back into the groove of things, but the truth is...I can't hear the MC for that story yet. I could hear this one though. And so I let her tell me her story, now I'm almost at 2K and it feels so good. My goal is to finish this wip before my birthday (June 21st) so I am speed writing like nobody's business. I'm going to try my best not to edit as I write. I'm going to let the writing be raw, and just hope that something can come out of it when I'm finished writing.

I like the story a lot. It's called The Deduction of Shana Nichols and it's a NA Mystery inspired by one of my new favorite shows: Elementary. I loved the dynamics between Johnny Lee Miller's Sherlock and Lucy Liu's Watson so much that it helped me come up with a story of my own. Shana isn't in any way Sherlock, but she does think logically about things and she does deduce things just as easily as she breathes. My MC is super intelligent and I hope I can make her seem that way without it feeling forced.

Here's a snippet (WARNING: Rough Writing Ahead):

Soon isn’t today, but its one day. I just have to keep providing my services to people. Thanks to Morgan, that’s not going to be a problem. The text she sent me was about another friend of hers who needed an essay written. That was the beauty of having a best friend who went to a gigantic university. Not only did she know a lot of people, but the people she knew had a lot of friends as well. Once I help out one person other people find out about me through them. I’m not sure why they trust me – a girl who isn’t in college – to do their work but they do. And I’m glad they do because working at Benny’s isn’t enough. Minimum wage will never be enough.
Today I will be eight hundred dollars closer to my goal.

I'm super excited about this story, and I hope by the end of next month I have a first draft ready. I have always wanted to write a mystery so I hope I can do it justice. So, yeah. When another story sneaks up on you and the voice is strong and it's something you really really want to write don't be afraid to put the project you're plotting or drafting (only if it's not going anywhere but if it's going somewhere then...you know the drill...WRITE) aside and write something else. If you want to get more of an idea of what the story is about, check out the TDoSN Pinterest board.

So...what are you guys working on? Has any stories taken you by surprise lately?

Thanks for reading!

Love Letters to Forever . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Blog Templates Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates