14.8.13

 
What's Up Wedneday is a weekly meme started by Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk where writers post about what's up by answering four questions. If you want to participate go here:



WHAT I'M READING
 
I'm still reading The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson.

 
 
 
 
 
WHAT I'M WRITING
 
I'm still at the same wordcount as Friday, less than 600 words from the 25K mark. (I posted my What's Up Wednesday post on Friday because I was out of town that week, and couldn't post it earlier.) I did, however, rework the opening of Unfair and post it on WriteOnCon. You can read it here. I got a lot of great feedback, and even though I am nowhere near finished with Unfair, the opening is starting to look a lot better. If you posted anything on WriteOnCon, and you want a critique, feel free to post a link in the comments, and I'll try to get to it.
 
 
WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW
 
I love this post about Diversity in Writing by Ellen Cho. She hits on a lot of great points, and I think everyone should read it.
 
I have to say that I love it when people in the writing community talk about diversity. I run across a lot of racist people on the internet, and though it's never been directed towards me, some of the things that people say to other people still hurt. There are times when I just want to give up the internet because of all of those things, but then I remember the community I am apart of. No I don't know A LOT of writers but the ones I *know* and the ones I see post on writing-related forums or articles are so respectful and kind and eager to learn. I can't explain how much that inspires me; how much that makes me feel like the world we live in won't always be the way that it is.
 
Speaking of the writing community, I am glad to have written with y'all this summer. I honestly don't know where Unfair would be if I hadn't stumbled across What's Up Wednesday/Ready. Set. Write! I don't think I would've gotten any writing done. I started this summer feeling down because I couldn't find the story that stuck. Now I have characters that I truly love, and the drive to actually finish this story. I couldn't have gotten to this point without everyone's support. Thank you.
 
And a HUGE thank you to Alison, Elodie, Katy, Jaime, and Erin! My writing care packages came and they made me so happy. There are a lot of great things that I can't wait to use to finish Unfair. Ready. Set. Write! was a great idea, and I'm so glad that I was apart of it.
 
WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO
 
School shopping! I spent the whole of yesterday going from store to store, getting things that I need for this semester, and I got most of what I need, which is good because I LOATHE shopping. The less time I have to spend in a store, the better.
 
I go back to school next Wednesday so this might be my last What's Up Wednesday/Ready. Set. Write! post for a while. Once I get settled into school and get a feel for the semester, I'm going to work out a schedule, so I can write and still stay on top of school work.
 
I'm going to miss having loads of free time but I am really excited about going back to school. People look at me funny when I say this. There are a lot of people who don't like school and that's understandable. College is stressful. I can't begin to count how many nights I've stayed up until three o'clock in the morning studying or trying to finish an assignment. But college is also A LOT of fun. Plus, I have a suite with two of my friends. Freshman year, I really couldn't connect with my roommate, so it's going to be fun having not just one but two roommates that are my friends.
 
 
Thanks for reading! How was your writing week?
 

4 comments

Oh man, I hate hate hate shopping sometimes. (Not BOOK shopping, haha...or dress shopping, or even school supply shopping...but shoe shopping? Just kill me.) As I grow older, I find I hate shopping for different reasons. I despise dropping $300 on textbooks when I'm trying to save for a car, apartment, and grad school on a part-time job. Luckily, even college at its crappiest is better than sitting at home! :)

Funny you should mention diversity because my WUW post talked about this as well...it's been on my mind lately (also thanks to the Internet).

I found GOFT with sneak-peek online pages, and while it doesn't look like something I'd be super-interested in, I'd be willing to read on and see how it developed. First-person narratives always make me go "meh" initially, no matter how much I end up liking the book in the end.

REPLY

So happy to hear that your packages are getting to you! Hope you enjoy them. :-) And I'm thrilled that you've found Ready. Set. WRITE! so helpful. UNFAIR sounds like it's coming along fantastically, which is awesome! I've loved meeting so many new awesome people through this.

This time of year I get the itch to be a student again. All of the school supplies are so, so tempting. I miss so much about college and I'd go back in a heartbeat if it was feasible. So you're totally not weird for loving it, Raven. Have a great week! :-)

REPLY

I just popped over to that Diversity in Writing post and loved it, so thanks for sharing the link. And also, thank you for letting your voice be heard! I am a very firm believe in the idea that ALL people are different. Even identical twins are individuals. So diversity isn't just about things like skin color and sexual orientation, it's about humanity. As writers, we need to write multi-dimentional characters with histories and cultures and emotions and everything else. We need to write books with diverse characters that aren't books about diversity, they are just books about people.

I don't know anything more about you than what I've seen you post on the internet, but I totally love you. You're an interesting multidimentional person with an eloquet voice and something to say. I always love reading your posts, and I know one day your words will make a big impact on the hearts of your readers. Because you have something to say, and it isn't about "diversity" it's about humanity.

REPLY

Yay! I'm so happy your parcels arrived and that you're enjoying them! I'm sure there are some things in there that might come in handy for school too, seeing as you'll soon be doing a lot of school-related writing! I find it so encouraging to know that WUW/RSW has helped your story progress, and your comments about the writing community are very inspiring. Best of luck with your writing and preparations for your second year of college! :)

REPLY

Love Letters to Forever . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Blog Templates Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates