16.7.12


My new project is tricky. It's unlike anything I've written before but it's a story that I really want to tell. Aside from plotting (something I never ever do) I'm also doing A LOT of world-building. I don't want to do too much though because eventually I'll have more research notes than I have wordage and that's not good.

When I'm not writing and trying to figure out who my characters are, I'm working on Dominion's Pinterest board. Every time I find a picture that reminds me of my wip, I get excited because I'm not only blending genres, but I'm also blending two worlds. Dominion takes place in the future, but a lot of the culture and the way people dress is inspired by Ancient Greece. So it really helps to have a place that I can put all the visuals for the story.

I talked about Dominion a little bit a few post ago. Basically it's about a girl who wants to avenge the death of her father, an underground organization who claims that they can help her, and a weapon named, Theo, who specializes in killing Greek gods. I'm really excited for this project even though it's making me want to pull my hair out at the moment. I hope to have at least 20,000 words written for it before I go off to college. *crosses fingers*


Here's the first 250 words:

Someone was hovering over me. It was dark but my cyber-eyes could make out the outline of the person standing by my cot. When a hand fell on my shoulder, I wasted no time in reacting. Body going into overdrive, the intruder didn’t make a sound when I jumped up and threw them across the room with so much force they went through the wall. Pieces of wood and centuries old dust rained down around me, but I didn’t let any of it stop me from finishing what I started. Grabbing the blade I kept underneath my pillow, I moved over to where the intruder should’ve landed, only to find that no one was there.
The floor creaked behind me.
“You picked the wrong girl to mess with,” I hissed, spinning around. I didn’t have time to think about what I was going to do. If this person was fast and could survive getting thrown through a wall, they were either a machine or a dem. Though I would rather fight another Borg, the odds of it being a demigod were a lot higher. And that could mean only one thing.
The Legion was here.
Warner said we would be safe in Erimos; that they wouldn’t find us, but as I charged towards the dark figure standing in the doorway, I knew that the legionaries somehow managed to track us down.
“Shit, Leila!” My database matched the voice with a face at the same time I barreled into my brother.


So what you guys working on?

4 comments

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wow, love it. That does sound like a crazy intricate world you're building, but the story in it looks to be very neat.

REPLY

Whoa, hold up. Are there cyborgs AND Greek gods? In the same story? SO AWESOME.

Also, I love this snippet you've posted here. It really grabbed my attention and made me want to read more! I hope you keep going with this, because this sounds like it'll make a crazy-awesome book someday :)

REPLY

@Morgan - Thank you! I'm really trying to do as much research as I can to make this world work. Thought it would be easy blending two things but it's SOOOO not. Thanks again for reading! <3

@Stephanie - I got really giddy when I came up with the idea because now I wish someone had wrote this book so that I could read it, but I guess it's true what they say about writing what you want to read. Thank you so so much reading. I'm glad this beginning grabbed your attention because I really suck at writing beginnings 99.9% of the time, so I'm glad this works. :)

REPLY

Love Letters to Forever . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Blog Templates Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates