7.2.12

Teaser Tuesday

It's a new year but that doesn't mean that we can't revive old memes. Teaser Tuesday is a meme where you post a teaser or an excerpt from your current project on Tuesday.

I hope you guys participate today because I'm really looking forward to reading everyone's teasers! Mine is from my latest wip Whispers in the Dark. I'll put up a page for WitD sometime soon if you're interested in knowing what it's about but I am almost 10k into the story and I'm really hoping that this will be the first project of mine that I finish.

Since this is a first draft and the rest of what I have written isn't really ready to be shared, I'll post the beginning. Also, if you guys decide to post teasers on your blogs, please tell me in the comments and I will be sure to read them.


***



Joselyn McLane thought the girl’s bathroom was a perfect place for her to end her life. Not only was it super clean, but it reminded her of what she pictured heaven would look like.


There were angels everywhere.


Some were carved into the walls others were etched into the stained glass windows. They watched her with empty eyes as she pushed the garbage can up against the door. She knew that it wouldn’t keep anyone out but she wouldn’t take long. Suicide was a messy business not a time-consuming one.


“Hurry up,” the voice in the back of her head hissed. It had been nagging her all day. She tried listening to music to tune it out, but the voice seemed to command attention with its darkly seductive tone. Joselyn knew that the only way to eternally silence it was to take the switchblade she had hidden in her messenger bag and slit her wrists.


“I still think you should jump out of the window.” Joselyn walked over to the sinks and placed her bag on top of one, trying her best to ignore the voice. She did not want to jump out of the window but a sudden urge to do just that swept over her. No, she thought. If I’m going to kill myself, I’m going to do it my way. She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, as she looked for the knife. Her eyes were deer-caught-in-the-headlights wide and though she couldn’t feel her heart beating in her chest, the fear that she should have felt was written all of over her face. It was in her eyes, in the curve of her lips. “It would save you the trouble of…”


“I don’t want to do this,” she breathed, her voice bouncing off the walls, shattering the spell he had her under.


“We made a deal,” the voice continued, only this time it didn’t sound seductive. If anything – it sounded impatient, annoyed. Joselyn had always thought that darkness was just the absence of light but she knew better now. Darkness was the feeling that passed over her, as the room around her spun, the lights flickered, and a cold chill coursed through her veins.


Suddenly, he was there, standing beside her.


Bane.


“We made a deal,” he repeated, his voice as venomous as the look in his silver eyes. “I granted you a wish, so it’s time for you to fulfill your end of the bargain.”

3 comments:

  1. An explosion of comments from me on your blog as I fail to post a comment here and then magically post it somewhere else. Anyway, here's what I said about "this" excerpt:

    Ooh, great way to keep us guessing there. At first the reader thinks it's another suicide novel, but, no, then it seems there's multiple personalities, but no, it's wish-granting Bane, making her do this and she doesn't want to! Nice opening.

    I do have a teaser, but you've probably already linked from AW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice opener!! It definitely draws you in, once you realize that it's more than just a "voice in her head" she's hearing (maybe). It definitely piques my interest!
    The only part I wondered about were the angels in the bathroom... Did the other students draw them, or is this a religious school? That's the only thing that tripped me up in this scene, trying to figure that out. But I love the tension here! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, she's going to commit suicide. I hope someone comes in and...

    ReplyDelete