22.8.10

Why I Love Markus Zusak or... (The Book Thief review)


I don't love Markus Zusak just because he has an amazing smile (I mean, seriously, look at HIM) or because he has a dreamy accent. No, I love him because he is an AMAZING writer, and because I just finished reading one of the best books EVER.

The Book Thief is not just a story about Nazi Germany or even book thievery, as the title might suggest, but it is also about learning to find the beauty in a world that is far from being beautiful.

In the beginning of the book, Liesel Meminger, the heroine of the story, starts off as a little girl who doesn't understand much. She can't read, she can't write, and on the way to a house on Himmel Street she loses not only her mother, but her brother [SPOILERS...] who dies on the train.


One of the things that I loved about this book is that the author gives the reader a chance to see the character grow. Liesel started off as young and naive, but as she began to understand the world she lived in, Hitler's Germany, and the crime her parents committed, she grows not only mentally but emotionally. She transforms into this strong, young girl who knows that she has many obstacles in her way, but she is determined not to let them stop her.

I enjoyed reading The Book Thief because of Zusak's breathtaking prose. Every simile, every metaphor that I came across made me swoon because he used words that I would never have thought to use to describe the sky when someone dies or even the sky itself.

Did I mention that this book was not told by Liesel Meminger? You would think that because she is the heroine of the story, she would be the one dragging you through the emotional rollercoaster that was The Book Thief, but she is not.

I was actually quite surprised when I found out that Death, himself, was narrating the story, and it made it even more interesting because through his point-of-view the reader was able to
understand more about Germany in the time of
Hitler's reign.

There were so many great characters in this book that I can't really say that I didn't like any of them because they were so well-developed and they all had their owns stories to tell and they all played their own part in Liesel's story and... I think two of my favorite characters, besides Liesel and Death, would be Rudy and Max.

Rudy is Liesel's friend, and though their relationship is far from romantic, the love between them is genuine and refreshing. Their antics, their adventures are what kept me turning the pages, and Rudy. He will forever have a special place in my heart, because.... I don't want to give it away, but he's just sweet and strong and he's really passionate.

Then there is Max.... [SPOILERS] he is a Jewish man who lives in Liesel's basement. He was a wonderful touch to the story, because when he entered the reader was reminded that this is Nazi Germany and though Liesel and her foster parents are nice people, nice people pay the consequences for simple acts of kindness everyday, especially during this time.


You were punished for aiding a Jew, and so Max being in their house was a risk, but I'm glad he came along because him and Liesel have so much in common and....

I'm not going to spoil anything else just GO READ THIS BOOK NOW. I swear to you, that it will make you laugh, make you cry, make you think, make you smile.

It will haunt you.

"I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant."

- Markus Zusak (The Book Thief)


(You see why I'm in love with him, right?)

5 comments:

  1. This was an awesome review.

    Just thought I'd step in an say that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've had this book form the library and never have been able to read it. I think I'll buy it so it's there when I do decided to read it. I hope my girls will enjoy it.

    And he is such a doll, *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracey - Thanks! ^_^

    J.S. - Thanks! Hehe. And he's a writer, which makes him even more yummier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree this is a beautiful book. His best. :) And who knew he was such a hottie??

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS BOOK IS AWESOME.

    THIS REVIEW IS AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete