24.4.10

So, I am writing a dystopian novel. Yes, the girl who doesn't really have a favorite genre, is writing a novel in a genre that she really doesn't know about. The only thing she does know is that she has a story that needs to be told, and so she's telling it.

About three weeks ago, I had a dream about fire and the end of the world, and though it was a scary dream, I found a story inside of it. So I took down a few notes, and I decided to give writing this story a try.

At first I really really liked it. I thought the characters were great. The premise was awesome and I was so in love with the idea, that I just wanted to jump in and write it. But then I realized something about my premise: It wasn't going to work out.

I just had this gut feeling that it wasn't going to work out, so instead of giving up, I thought about it some more until I came up with something infinitely better.

I don't have an official title but I've been calling this WIP As the World Burns for the longest and it's about losing faith, finding it, fighting a war that may end the world and finding love as the world burns.

My main character, Maggie, has a very strong voice and I love her for that. I'm already a good 2k into the story, so hopefully I'll be able to finish it one day.

If you want to read the first half of the first chapter, click here. It's been changed around since then, but the idea is still pretty much the same.



Civil Twilight is my Muse. I've been listening to a lot of their music while writing because it's so beautiful and it just makes me feel like writing and getting the words out.

What are you guys working on? And what singer/band is helping you get the words out?

3 comments

good luck with your dystopia, perhaps you have started your novel in the wrong place?

I listen to dance music in the middle of WIP, just to keep the energy flowing, something like Groove Armada.

REPLY

Good luck with your writing! It sounds like such a cool idea...I love dystopians. :)

I've been listening to a ton of alternative music lately, kind of leaning towards the rock vibe...stuff from Emilie Autumn and Florence & The Machine. But if I'm writing a really mellow scene, I'll switch to instrumental. ;)

REPLY

There are some hot new distopian books on the market....and good reasons to read no matter what. Every time you read what's being written, your inner pencil holder chalks up one more great image, one more cool idea to make the impossible seem like normal popcorn in a bowl, one more disconnect you want to avoid in your own story. If you're bringing yourself down, take the advice of comment #2 - List about 25 What if questions and take the story in a new direction. Because without hope, there is no story. Without fear, there is no energy. Without peristence, you'll have no book.
Persist.

REPLY

Love Letters to Forever . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Blog Templates Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates