21.3.10

Girls Can Kick Butt Too


I've been noticing a trend in YA books.

Some girl characters, I am not saying any names, are weak. They depend fully on their love interest, and they can't stand to live one moment without them, because they are their life, and they would die if anything happened to them...and blah blah blah.

Goodness.

Girls are not like that in real life.

We are strong. We can hold our own, and if a dragon or two comes our way, we can slay it, with or without a hot guy on our arm.

It's the twenty-first century, people. The age of the damsel-in-distress is long gone.

Let the girl save the guy for once.

Hmm. Dude-in-distress. That has a certain ring to it, don't you think?

10 comments:

  1. DUDES IN DISTRESS = WIIIINNN.

    And I applaud this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post! It definitely does have a ring to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS. I am REALLY so tired of the girl whose entire existence revolves around another person. REAL GIRLS ARE NOT LIKE THAT. (most girls anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I've decided that every main character who is a girl in one of my novels will have to kick butt. That's not an option; it's a requirement. She can have other weaknesses, but not that one.

    I love that picture, by the way. Did you see the movie? My favorite part--and I've been replaying this scene over and over in my head--is when she's bounced into the air and she comes down on the jabberwocky with her sword while yelling, "OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!"

    That scene was made of epic.

    Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I <3 the dude-in-distress!

    Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, in my YA novel the girl totally saves the guy. XX rules!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally into writing about the girl who can kick ass. Great post!

    ReplyDelete