3.2.10

Road Trip Wednesday # 15: The Next Big Thing In YA


Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival created by the lovely ladies over at YA Highway. This week, they are taking about the next big thing in YA.

For a long time shelves in the young adult section were infested with vampire and werewolf books. I love the creatures and all, but come on. After a while you get tired of reading the same old thing.

There are other crazy awesome paranormal creatures out there, so give them a chance to shine. This is a new year, and it's time to see new things.

Mermaids/ Sirens

I really think mermaids and sirens are going to be the next big thing. In fact, I really hope they are going to be because I have never read a mermaid/siren story. Other people might feel differently, but I would much rather see book covers with mermaids on them than see covers with large pointy fangs sinking deep into a girl's skin.

Dragons


This is a shameless plug. One of the stories I am planning on writing has to do with dragons. I am currently in the researching/note-taking stage but I really hope dragons make a come back. They are awesome creatures and there are so many things you can do with them.

Aliens


Ever since I read The Host by Stephenie Meyer I have had a soft spot for aliens. It would be kind of cool to read about creatures from other planets. Just, you know, don't make them green. That would be a bit cliche.

Mythology


I love mythology. Celtic, Greek, Roman, Romanian, Russian, and Native American mythology is so awesome. I have a lot of ideas that come from just reading up on different kind of myths, finding ways to twist them and make them more interesting.

Witches and Wizards


Nothing in the vein of Harry Potter but I can see a few more witch stories coming along.

That's what I think will be the next big thing in a nutshell. What about you? What do you think will be the next big thing in YA?

2 comments:

  1. Ouuu, sirens. Those would be fun to read about.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see more Native American myths too.

    ReplyDelete