12.2.10

The Hardest Scenes to Write Are....


So I was getting my daily fix of the YA Rebels. And just in case you haven't heard of them, no they are not some new sort of drug, but okay, I'll admit it, they are pretty addictive.

If you haven't checked them out, then shame on you. Just click on this link and maybe just maybe you can redeem yourself.

Recently, they discussed what they thought were the hardest scenes to write.

Churning out the right words is a hard job in itself. But putting words togetherto create a scene that you can't picture vividly in your head, is even harder.

I am writing an Urban Fantasy novel, so there is a lot of action, a lot of adventure and things of that sort. Even though I would declare my love for this book on the highest mountain peak, sometimes I just feel like strangling it because it is giving me Hell.

We all love a good action scene. Especially ones in really cool movies like The Matrix or X-Men. But, you know, I now have a new respect for the people who choreograph the scenes, because I am telling you writing it is so hard.

Even when you can visualize every punch that is thrown, every round house kick, you still want to make the scene as interesting as you can, because if it isn't interesting the reader will get bored and will throw the book because the action scene is corny.

That might not be true, but Eden is a trouble maker. She gets into fights just for the heck of it. Really, I don't know what's wrong with the girl, but if I were to even try to avoid writing a fighting scene, she would yell at me until I gave in.

So I have to write a lot of action packed scenes and each of them have to be unique, while not being over the top or too surreal.

I have written a total of two fighting scenes in Fighting the Fire and do they suck, probably. But hopefully, if I work hard enough, they will get better. I do, however, watch movies with a lot of action in them, just to get a sense of what they should be like.

It's kind of hard to transfer that on to a piece of paper, or in this case, my Wordpad document but hopefully it would get better.

Here is one of the fight scenes I wrote:


"He is here."

Theo turned to look at me. "Well, we should not keep him waiting."

I stood up. "If you aren't going to tell me anything, I think I should leave."

"Yes, I think you should leave, too." He looked at Victor and the bodyguard. "Take her away."

They advanced towards me and I was glad I decided to wear a shorter dress. It made it easier for me to move my legs. I crouched down, ready to attack.

But Victor and the bald man weren't like Theo's other bodyguard. They looked ready to fight. Like they had been fighting all their lives. I smiled to myself. Looks like I met my matches.

"Wait," Theo said, holding up his hand. "Before you all start throwing punches, I have something to say."

We all looked at him. He moved towards me and the scar burned. His fingers found the chain that hung from neck, and traveled down, down, down, until he found the key.

"You know what they were looking for, my dear. The only question is, will you give it to them willingly or will you die trying to keep it from them?"

"Who are they? You know, don't you?"

"I know a lot of things, but you already know that. Take her away."

Two hands forcefully pulled my hands behind my back. I let out a cry of pain, and launched my foot back. It made contact with something hard. There was a loud grunt, but the man didn't fall to his knees like I thought he would. His balls must have been made of steel.

Pulling myself free of the hold, I elbowed him in the jaw. Victor was closing in on me, his fangs bared. I bounced back and forth between them and to anyone walking past, it would look like we were dancing.

What do you think are the hardest scenes to write?

2 comments:

  1. I think your blurb sounds brilliant...tbh, the hardest scenes for me to write are the really emotional ones because they actually make me emotional. When I write about death, or loss, as I am with my current WIP, it breaks my heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And yeah, I agree, writing emotional scenes are really hard. Especially if you're in a really good mood when you write them, and then all of a sudden you're crying.

    ReplyDelete