2.1.10

No Kiss Blogfest


I just found out that today is No-Kiss Day. Remember, last time there was the official Kissing Day where you had to post a kissing scene from your WIP or your favorite book or a movie that you liked? Well, this is sort of like that but instead of posting a kissing scene, you're posting an almost kissing scene.

Take New Moon for example. We were all on the edge of our seats, waiting for Jacob to kiss Bella, but it didn't happen. I remember everyone was so disappointed, and I bet Kristen Stewart was too.

By the way, this was started by Frankie over at Frankie Writes. I read her post for today, and was a really good read. Great tension, and a boat-load of emotion. Go check it out and be sure to post your favorite almost kiss scene.

This is a tweaked scene from Mirror, Mirror. It might change later on when I get to this scene in the editing process, but for now, it's written so that it fits today.


***


"I used to ride this?"

We were standing outside now, the air was still, the sky was a faded blue. Ellis was leaning against a black motorcycle with flames curling up on the sides.

"Yeah," he replied, nodding "We used to go out all the time on this baby."

"Baby?" I chuckled.

Ellis smiled, his lips stretching from ear to ear. "What? I had her for a long time. So of course she's my baby."

"Her?" I rolled my eyes. "So, let me guess, you named her too."

"Her name is Marisol."

"Marisol," I repeated.

"It was my mother's name." I looked at him, as if I were seeing him for the first time.

Was.

I hated that word. I used it a lot after my mother died.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"Me too," he replied, looking down at the sidewalk.

I don't know how long we stood there. Seconds, minutes, hours. A whole day could have passed by while we let the wind carry the words we didn't speak on it's back.

He cast his eyes to the sky, and then looked at me, a faint smile on his lips.

"Let's go for a ride."

"No, I don't think so."

If I rode with him, I would have to wrap my arms around his waist, lean my head into his back. That was too intimate. I couldn't do it.

He stuck his lower lip out. "Please."

"No, Ellis."

"Come on, babe, you know you want to."

"I don't want to."

He took my hands into his, tugging me forward. I didn't budge.

"What are you afraid of? We're not going to crash or anything."

"I'm not afraid of anything." Yes, I was afraid. I was afraid of this. I was afraid that Ellis might get too close. I was afraid that he might become more involved and if he did he would find out the truth. He didn't need to know the truth.

"Is that so?" His voice was seductive, and it made my heart stop.

"Let me go, Ellis." He let me go, but not entirely. His hands formed make-shift manacles around my wrist, and he pulled me closer, until there was only a sliver of air separating our bodies.

"No. I did that once. I can't do it again."

"Let me..." Our foreheads touched. His lips were inches away from mine.

I could taste his breath on my tongue. For a moment, I wondered what it would be like to feel his lips on my lips. His heart on my heart.

I looked into his eyes. He was wondering the same thing. But he would do more than just wonder. He leaned in, and rested his lips on my neck. They made a trail down to my collarbone.

He wasn't kissing me, just sliding his mouth across my skin, setting me on fire.

"Ellis." I could barely say his name without sounding weak, defenseless.

"Hmm." But he didn't pull away. His lips made their way up to my jaw line, my chin.

They were so close to my lips, it hurt.

He couldn't kiss me, and I couldn't kiss him. If our lips touched there would be no turning back.

I couldn't find my voice, but I found the strength to push him away.

"Sarah," Ellis breathed. "what's wrong?"

I looked away. My heart was racing. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think.

"Sarah." He stepped into my line of sight and I turned away. I looked at the cars slowly moving down the street, the old lady watering her flowers, the butterflies flapping their wings in the air. I looked at everything but him.

His arms curled around my waist, and leaned his head on my shoulder. Dark strands of hair tickled my skin.

"Did I do something wrong?"

I didn't answer him. He took my silence as a yes.

"I don't know what I was thinking. We're outside, in public. If your father looked out the window right now, he'd storm out here with his..."

"Ellis."

"Yes?"

"Shut up."

He laughed against my neck.

"Yes, ma'am," he breathed.

I liked the feeling of his arms around my waist, his chin in my shoulder. It felt so good, so right.

But it was wrong. I pulled away.

"Sarah, please." He pulled me back to him. "I liked standing with you like this."

"Not out here."

"Let's go someplace. Anywhere. Let's..."

"No, Ellis. No."

I turned to look at him.

"We don't have to do anything you don't want to do, Sarah. But I just want to be alone with you."

He tried to take my hands again, but I didn't let him.

"I want to stay home today," I lied, looking away.

"Sarah," he whispered. "look at me."

I shook my head. I couldn't look at him. I couldn't let him get attached to me.

"Sarah," he repeated.

When I didn't look up at him, he gently pushed my chin up, so that I was forced to drown in his eyes.

Our lips were now centimeters apart.

"Ellis, please."

His hand combed through my hair, and down my back, sending shivers up my spine. He didn't let me go. He wouldn't let Sarah go.

"I'm just not ready." My eyebrows furrowed. "You understand, right?"

I could see it in his eyes. He understood but he didn't want to.

"I'm sorry, Sarah. I just wish..."

Ellis clamped his lips shut, and looked away. I knew what he was going to say. He wished everything was back to however they were before.

But things could never be the same.

10 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT. Good Lord, woman, you are so talented. *is proud of all her uber-talented Twifties* :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, DAMN EDWARD AND HIS STUPID PHONE CALL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bloody hell, lady! your writing is brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness - a sliver of air...he didn't have to know....what great lines. I think you're only 15 in your imagination, you're obviously an immortal who's lived their teens more than once!! Don't be put off by the small number of comments....I'm honored to have had the persistance to stumble over yours. Great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Raven!! This rocked! Thank you for the sweet compliment up above and THANK YOU for participating and making sure that the first ever No Kiss Blogfest totally rocked!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very intense stuff. Great tension. You write extremely well. *sounds like a school teacher without meaning to!*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe, these comments really made my morning. Thanks for the compliments guys!

    Kristin - YES! That was the one time I really wanted to kick Edward.

    Melissa - Thanks so much for reading ^_^

    Kate Lacy - I'm so glad you liked it and my mom does call me an old lady, so who knows lol!

    Frankie - No problem. I really loved your No Kiss scene. Good luck with querying Rose Lily.

    Lia - ^_^

    Kathy Bradey - Haha, you don't sound like a teacher at all. My teachers are mean and would probably say "You forgot a comma" or something.

    Thanks again for reading guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww I LOVE it!!!!! *must read this*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intriguing.
    Just the right amount of sexual tension.
    Perfect, Ely!
    This is so well-written :D

    ReplyDelete