14.12.09

Teaser Tuesday

So, technically, it's not Tuesday yet but I will be in school tomorrow of course and at won't have time to post it so I'm posting it now.

I have not been able to get enough writing done. I had a major essay to write and that took a lot of researching and time that I wished could have been spent on writing, but it wasn't.

I know you're probably wondering where today's teaser is coming from. Well, it's not from Mirror, Mirror or Playing the Field.

I was working on Playing the Field today. I had the document open and everything. But somehow I started writing something different.

At the time I didn't know what the heck was going on. I was just writing. I didn't have a plot or a title, I just had this voice, this voice that wouldn't stop talking.

But after hours of deciding, I am thinking about calling this story STARLIGHT. It looks better in capital letters, doesn't it?

I don't know much about this WIP but I can tell you it will have a possible love triangle and it will feature some really nasty, slimy creatures called Nightmares.

Some of you who did FNW with me today, already read this and so I apologize for not having something new. Hopefully, though, I'll have something sparkly and new for next week.

***

I felt like my head was on a carousel. It was spinning around and around and around. Pressing my nails into the Styrofoam cup, I tried my best to stand up.

God, I was so wasted. Lola told me I would have more fun if I had a beer or two or four. If I remembered correctly, I had six cups. But I could be wrong.

Lola was wrong too. I wasn't having fun. Having a headache the size of Texas and feeling like I was going to throw up any moment, wasn't my idea of fun.

It wasn't even close to it.

In fact, I was having fun six drinks ago, when the music wasn't painful to listen to and when all I wanted to do was sway side to side wildly with my hands waving in the air.

Now I just want to sit back down and go to sleep. But I can't. I need to find Lola.

I need to get home.

I'm drunk. I am so drunk, so drunk I can't tell which way is up and which way is down. But I know something is wrong. I don't need to be sober to know that. I can feel it in my bones.

No one is dancing. The music is playing, playing, playing, but no one is moving, swaying. I don't know what time it is, but I know that it's too early for this party to be over. Lola said that parties usually end when everyone passes out.

Everyone is passed out.

"Lola," I called. It was of no use. My voice was drowned out by the music. But I kept looking, hoping that one of the faces on the floor would look familiar.

None of them did. Lola had probably introduced me to half of these people, and I couldn't even remember who they were.

But I had to wake somebody up. It didn't matter who, I just needed to talk to someone, anyone.

Nearby a boy was laying face-down on the steps. I probably knew his name once, but I didn't now.

I moved towards him, and started poking him. Hard, hard, harder. He didn't budge.

"Come on, wake up!" I yelled. He couldn't hear me over the music. I moved closer until my lips were pressed against his ear. "Wake up!"

Still no movement. He was as still as a doorknob, as still as the dead.

For all I know, he could be dead.

I gripped both of his shoulders and pulled him up. My stomach started doing jumping jacks and a wave of nausea washed over me.

A large red stain covered the front of his shirt and his throat, his throat was slit.

This was why he didn't move. This was why he didn't hear or feel me. He was dead.

And I was pretty sure everyone else was too.

16 comments:

  1. Ah, dude! First the descriptions of drunkeness which were perfect and blew my mind wide open-->In fact, I was having fun six drinks ago, when the music wasn't painful to listen to and when all I wanted to do was sway side to side wildly with my hands waving in the air.

    Then the shock of the dead kid. Are they all dead? Oh, that was so so good. Loved it, Raven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it in FNW, and love it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. STARLIGHT screams out "EDGY"! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! I love it!
    Every time I see Cloverfield (which is once because the running camera thing makes me nauseas) I poke my boyfriend and say "how bad would it suck for the world to be ending when you're wasted."
    Your snippet pretty much answers that.
    Your descriptions are great! Let's just say that six beers deep I'm starting to feel this way too and the sheer terror and something's off feeling comes through so clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really feel drunk when you describe it! It is really well done and really really creepy! You have a great hook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has great voice and rhythm! EVERYBODY'S DEAD? I need to read more of this - hope we FNW together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaagh! This is awesome. I really...really...really want to read more. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved it on FNW and I love it now. You've done an AWESOME job with this! <333

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect description of the drinking!

    AND OMGOODD!!! What a cliff hanger...

    You tease <33

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such awesome figurative language. The first line is stellar.

    I love the cliffhanger aspect and how you're not expecting what happened at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love this. 'nuff said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good voice and extremely creepy ending. It makes me want to know about it that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved "a beer or two or four" and the end was insane!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This pulled me in immediately. Your character already has a place in my heart just liek that. Loved the ending! Epic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for reading guys!

    Your comments always make me smile <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, amazing last line!! What happened here?!?

    ReplyDelete