18.11.09

Music Music Music


This is the first time I'm participating in one of these, but today is Roadtrip Wednesday over at YA Highway.

Today's question is:

What are the songs that represent/influence your WIP(s)?

When I saw this question, I knew I had to answer it. Without music, I don't think I could write. I probably could, but music is like my partner in writing. Whenever I'm stuck on a scene, I can turn on the radio or my iPod put on one of my favorite bands and then everything will be okay.

Mirror, Mirror

I didn't have time to make a playlist for MM, because I switched nano ideas and I didn't really know a lot about this novel until I got deeper into the story.

While writing, I listened to a lot of The Fray. They're one of my favorite bands and I love listening to them while I right, because it's so smooth and powerful and the lyrics are just amazing.

Say When is both the theme for Mirror, Mirror and Low, which is one of the love interest in the book.

I'm breakin' down and you're breathin slowly
Say the word and I will be your man, your man,
Say when
And my own two hands will comfort you, tonight, tonight
Say when
And my own two hands will carry you, tonight, tonight

This part in the song really spoke to me because all Low wants to do is be there for Ken. He wants to be her knight in shining armor when and if she needs him.

Chasing Pavements by Adele

I've made up my mind,
Don't need to think it over
If I'm wrong, I am right
Don't need to look no further,
This ain't lust
I know this is love
I love this song so much. I hadn't listened to it in a while and when I put it on, I immediately started shaping Kendall's character. She's in love with Kipling, a man who is always angry and abusive, but in him, she sees herself. In Chapter 8, she tells Low that she loves him because they are both the same, they are both broken, they both have past that they want to escape but can't because it haunts them everyday.

So basically, she's telling Low I know I love Kip and there's no need for her to think it over. Her mind is made up. But as time progresses, she starts to question herself.

Should I give up,
Or should I just keep chasin' pavements?
Even if it leads nowhere
Or would it be a waste

Kendall starts to wonder if she should stop loving Kip, because he already loves someone else. Or if she should just keep loving him, even if he doesn't love her back.

We Might As Well Be Strangers by Keane

I don't know your thoughts these days
We're strangers in an empty space
I don't understand your heart
It's easier to be apart


This is another Low/Ken song. It really fits the scene I recently wrote. So this song is pretty much self-explanatory.

Won't Stop by OneRepublic

I swear it's you that my heart beats for
And it ain't gonna stop
It just won't stop


Twilight by Thriving Ivory

This ain't gonna hit me till God knows when
You know I feel it in my bones
And I wear it on my skin
But there ain't no use in right or wrong
A heart must go where it belongs

There are probably a million other songs that fit my novel, but these are the main ones. Music is really inspiring and like pictures, it can speak a thousand words. It can help paint your character's emotions or it can set the scene.

I love music. I never leave the house without my iPod and never write without it.

How about you? What songs represent/influence your WIP(s)?

0 comments:

Post a Comment